Advent Poems from Engage Worship

Happy Christmas Everyone!!

If you want to talk about anything, deep or frivolous, connected with Christmas, then this is the right place for you. Oh - and don't forget to visit the i-church Advent Calendar.
"... love was born at Christmas, stars and angels gave the sign." ~ Christina Rossetti
Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Engage Worship have created a series of beautiful little Advent Poems. This is the first one:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 am

So it is ........ :)

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 am

The light. So much reminds of of John's Gospel. :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 am

Today's poem:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 pm

These are lovely ...I have forwarded them to my family :votive1:

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 am

They are, aren't they Emle! :)

Day Three:

Kindness is underrated.

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 am

And Day Four...

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 pm

I’m keeping that one back until the 13th 😉

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:42 am

Excellent, Emle! :cool: :wink:

Day Five:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm

Fond memories of happy days .......and every day my musings end with memories of the last Christingle service my four children took an active part in together 27 years ago, youngest a babe in arms .....eldest leading and middle two providing readings, music and refreshments. Thank you!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am

Lovely memories Emle. :) I clearly remember straining for the first glimpse of the sea when we went on holiday - now I do it when we're returning home from being away! There's probably a theological lesson in there!!

Day Six:

Kindness is underrated.

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:24 am

I find those mentions of the first glimpse of the sea very moving. I missed it surprisingly much when we moved inland and remember those feelings on catching sight of it from the car or train on the way to visit relatives or from the coach on school trips. The memory of that sensation of possession and joyful homecoming still brings tears to my eyes as I think of it.
We didn't take holidays when I was a child - I suppose we had too many visitors when we lived by the sea- so references to them never resonate with me.
I especially love the poem about the orchestra. References to concerts I understand. Thank you for these, Caroline.

Emle

Post by Emle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:43 pm

I lived by the sea most of my childhood and have done so again for the past 18 years ...but for me it is Mountains that bring a tear to my eye ...I have always had a strong affection for majestic mountains, be they the peak of Yr Wyddfa in Snowdonia or the Cuillins of Skye ....or even my own smaller mountain on my doorstep. I love praying on a mountainside ...looking down on all I survey and marvelling at the beauty of it all, quite breathtaking!
97C469C3-07D8-44A6-A0FF-910E52C1B908.jpeg

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:33 am

That view is remarkably similar to the one from the front of our house Emle! Sadly, I don't think there are any deer around here though. Plenty of sheep, and actually a herd of free range cows on the mountain, but no deer.

Day Seven:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:17 am

This poem makes me shiver ....how desperate they must be to risk such a journey ..yet we have it all and usually want more 🙁
In that boat at that time they are just grateful to be alive!
Our priorities change when faced with real challenges in life. :votive1:

I love to see sheep and cattle roaming free Caroline and I do get a bit complacent about the deer as it is a daily visit by many to drink from my burn.

I once heard a bird watcher say “Oh it’s only a crow” they were obviously wanting to spot a rarer species
But even a crow is worthy of Gods love and attention ...I hope we don’t turn our backs on those “crows” in life in favour of searching for something special this Christmas.

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:58 am

I know just what you mean Emle. Here the crows and rooks patrol to keep the red kites away from their nesting sites. It is fascinating watching these usually quite ungainly birds swooping skillfully around the elegant but not particularly flexible kites and sending them on their way. What we think of as ordinary has great power to surprise and impress us!

Day Eight:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Having to use my imagination for today’s poem ....never happened to me :) but I can imagine it to be a lovely awakening ....where the senses paint a picture before we actually visualise the scene for ourselves ....now that is Advent :)

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:55 am

I have fairly often (but not often enough to take it for granted) woken up and thought 'I can smell coffee' and then found a mug on my bedside table. :biggrin: And occasionally awoken to the smell (and sound) of coffee being ground in the kitchen.

Day Nine:
Kindness is underrated.

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:00 pm

I don't know whether this sort of image is a good 'adventy' thing or not. If we know all is going to be well, it's super, but we can't know. Personally, I think the company who uploaded this one in the context of happy anticipation is being cruel.The first scans are done at an early stage nowadays,albeit when the chances are beginning to weigh in favour of a live, full-term baby appearing, but also when the chances against a happy event are still substantial.
When it goes wrong is the grief greater these days, when a couple has already shown the picture round the office and given the prospective child a name, than it was when I was first at work and colleagues said they'd had a 'false alarm' or didn't mention it at all ? I suspect it could be, but since there's no way to measure sadness at disappointment and loss, nobody will ever know for sure.
Is pregnancy a time of greater assurance or greater anxiety than it was a generation or two ago ? It's getting on for fifty years since I last worked on maternity clinics and there were no scans then. It's nearly twenty years since I last helped a student midwife through exams, and fifteen since a friend approaching forty had what her mother had called a late period but she called a lost baby.
My reaction may make me seem an old-fashioned killjoy to those whose children and grandchildren came out of the oven on time and in good nick, but I can't help feeling for those who may be clicking on to Engage Worship looking for some comfort at this time of year and finding their nose rubbed in a loss.

Emle

Post by Emle » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 pm

I actually find this scan photo and the photo of the first grandchild with a plane ticket a bit difficult as I didn’t get to see my first grandchild until she was four months old and secondly because we also have a scan photo of a little one who was born too soon.
But then one size doesn’t fit all and we just have to take each poem for what we can get out of it. Having to face uncomfortable moments makes us more aware of others needs sometimes.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:01 am

As a family who lost two children to miscarriage, it is something that stays with you forever. We never had scans so no memories, just the pain and grief of loss.

You always wonder "What if" but have to care for the others who were live births, but will always wonder "what if?"

Even over 40 years later, those questions continue. :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:44 am

Day Ten:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:13 pm

I love doing jigsaws, always have one on the go and this is exactly how I do mine! All the side pieces must be in place before any other pieces are added.
This is my most recent one ....took me quite a while more difficult than it might appear.
4248B2F5-83E2-4193-81A6-834E17DFA915.jpeg

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:27 am

Day Eleven:

Kindness is underrated.

Emle

Post by Emle » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:11 pm

I guess that must be very comforting 😀