WEEK 2

Jae
Auxilium

WEEK 2

Post by Jae » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:36 pm

We have now moved on to week two and the reading, relection and prayer have changed.

Here are our Week 2 Questions

What does it actually mean to live together as brothers and sisters?

and

Should more effort be made to bring groups of Christians together so that the Church can be seen to be more effective?

Beth

WEEK 2

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:28 pm

The sibling question is loaded with bias for me because my brother and sisters have not acted with fraternity (or the female bonding equivalent) in the sense we're not on a team. There's friction within us, beyond what is "normal" in families.

There's a book I'm intending to read on this topic, which I've heard is very good, and it claims the underlying patterns that govern how you relate to siblings within a home are remarkably similar, even if the intensity of your relationships is not shared by all families. I'd like to be able to understand my family relationships more, because they obviously affect life outside the home.

The book in which I found the recommendation for the sibling book (a title by John Gottman that I've reviewed on my blog) states that sibling relationships often affect our attitudes to our own children, marriage partner and our work relationships, and I assume church family would also be impacted by brothers and sisters.

In my last Church I felt I was perhaps looking to replicate family relationships. And as these weren't healthy to begin with I have to take some responsibility for how events turned out. The Church also violated boundaries (as my siblings tend to) and afterwards my brother changed the name of his business to mirror the name of the Church. The Church was called i61 and he decided to register his business Factor61. I don't think it was a coincidence.

I would be interested to hear alternative views as we try and answer this question. I have plenty to learn!