The Pope Parks Tanks on Rowan's Lawn

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:35 am

The Vatican and the Anglican Communion have issued a joint statement regarding a new initiative to allow disaffected Anglicans to be received into the RC Church, while preserving their Anglican Identity. This measure will permit individual married priests to move across to ordained positions within the RC Church, and may even allow Bishops to move across to be their oversight.

The measure will not allow married priests to be consecrated as bishops.

Typically, the media, and in particular Ruth Gledhill of the times scooped this and have been at some pains to sound the death knell for the Anglican Church? A link to the blog and times coverage is below.

Ruth Gledhill's Article

Of course, Traditionalists and some Evangelicals via the FCA and Reform have welcomed the move as have the two Flying Bishops. However, they are sounding a note of caution. ie, that it might not suit everyone as the fine print might be actually exclusive rather than inclusive.

I have a view on this, that those who cannot accept Women Bishops and Same Sex relationships may move, but others will just stay put.

There are lots of other considerations - will the CofE allow whole congregations to move across, with buildings and chattels? I can't see that happening, and are we heading for the same types of showdowns and law suits underway in the USA between the Episcopal Church and the defectors to the new Provinces?

What I find sad is that God's love and mission are being diverted in such a way and a waste of resources - my position with the RC church is clear - I find a great deal of thier prescriptive doctrine and requirements to be outwith the love of God and his message to love one another, unconditionally. I could never again accept such a message.

I hope and pray that those who feel estranged within the CofE feel able to accommodate the whole range of traditions and complexities and compromise, which has made the CofE what it is and so preserve the message of 'God's' church for future generations.
Last edited by Caroline on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: adjusting link which was being awkward

Isobel
previously IMR

Post by Isobel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:25 pm

I don't know the details but didn't some Anglican priests (including married ones I believe) move to the RC church when the ordination of women priests was announced?
Is this just an official recognition of the same thing?

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:01 am

This issue appears to still be rousing feelings and slanging matches between those for or against it.

It is a pity that the RC Church chose to do this at this time, when Anglicans are working through issues together. Perhaps this is a diversion to take the heat out of other issues facing the RC Church, in particular that of celibacy, which has appeared as an issue again within Ireland with the Sexual Abuse revelations and well respected Priests leaving to have a normal life with a spouse or partner.

I think that the Archbishop of Canterbury did a good thing on his recent trip to Rome to see the Pope in voicing the concerns of Anglicans in a way, which was not confrontational, rather in a mood of trying to re-establish communications on unity, without the heat recently generated.

An excellent summary here from Bishop Alan Wilson
http://bishopalan.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... unity.html
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!