Maundy Thursday

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Ernest
Auxilium

Maundy Thursday

Post by Ernest » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 am

Today on the Anniversary of the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples, Churches will be observing this important commemoration in ways both innovative and different from past years.

Last year we were due to lockdown, locked out of our Churches and in our case marked the event purely online. Thankfully, this year we are able to mark the occasion in Church, but with restricted numbers.

We have two services, one at 10 am a BCP Service, and while one member of Clergy will be at the Cathedral for the Chrism Mass and to receive the Holy Oils, the other will be celebrating the Communion Service with us.

Later at 8 pm we have the Liturgy of Maundy Thursday, where we will reserve the Sacrament for Good Friday services and the ritual of stripping the Altars and a very restricted symbolic foot washing. I will be preaching at that service.

Tomorrow, we are only having one service at 3 pm, the liturgy of Good Friday, where I will be leading prayers.

As Christians in the West Commemorate Jesus' death on the cross we also remember those in the Orthodox world who will mark Easter some weeks later, but also those Christians who are unable to observe their faith in public due to persecution and lockdowns. May they feel able to mark these occasions in Spirit with the rest of us, knowing that they are in our prayers and hearts and minds.

Amen :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Maundy Thursday

Post by Joyce » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:13 am

The Maundy money recipients will be getting their purses in the post this year,which can't be nearly as much fun as having the money presented by Her Majesty in a cathedral. There's an accompanying letter thanking them for their service to the community which Her Majesty says ' is at the heart of what it means to be a Christian.'. Centuries ago the recipients were London poor who were bought new clothes and shoes and given food. The king washed their feet until 1688. These days - when the service takes place - an attendant walks behind the monarch carrying a symbol towel.
In churches up and down the country,if there is a service I suppose the vicar can only wash feet this year if a member of his or her household volunteers to be on the receiving end.
When I attended a B and M church, I used to enjoy the re-enactment of the Last Supper which inolved a very nice meal.
I hope your services go well,Ernest, and the same for anyone else's.

Ernest
Auxilium

Maundy Thursday

Post by Ernest » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:03 am

Thanks Joyce. I preached yesterday evening. I will put the sermon on the blog later today. It is interesting that we have more viewers online than attending church due to restrictions and many of the elderly are still shielding, not matter that the government says shielding has officially ended.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Maundy Thursday

Post by Pam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:13 am

My son was a chorister at Coventry Cathedral when the Queen attended the Royal Maundy service and, as a choir parent, I caught a glimpse of her Majesty's hat as she walked to her seat! As she was going down the line of recipients, someone rummaged under her chair and brought out of pot of her home-made jam which he's brought to give the Queen! In the video of the event, she can clearly be heard laughing and saying 'And someone gave me a pot of jam!' as she stood outside at the end of the service.