Help me create a multi-religious homily

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:28 pm

My US business school has its 35th reunion in October, and I have been asked to speak briefly at the memorial service for the classmates who are deceeased. The audience will be multi-religious and non-religious, probably more Christians, several Jews, a few Muslems, and possibly Buddhists or others; some 'observing' and some not. What ideas would you have that I should consider using?

I am a Christian pastor.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Peace,
Joe :)

PS--I post regularly on our church's web site at http://sjnj.org

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Joe,

http://www.c-r-t.org/index.php

I was thinking about Multi-Religious issues and did a search. While there is lots on Wikipedia, I found the above website, which seems to be Religions working together for peace.

So multi-faith in action might be their headline.

I hope this helps.

Ernest
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:25 am

Joe, how exciting!

Just off the top of my head - my experience of working in a multi faith setting (in prison chaplaincy) was that lots of those with a non-Christian belief set were interested in talking about faith, even though they didn't see him quite like I did, so I think talking about your faith would be perfectly acceptable, framed in such a way to make it clear you were not trying to push anyone else into sharing it.

The only people I can think of who might not find talking about your faith acceptable would be Dawkins-style atheists, but I guess nothing a Christian pastor said would be acceptable to anyone with that particular mindset.

Isobel
previously IMR

Post by Isobel » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm

A topic that occurs to me for a memorial service is that all the major religions feel that death is not just an end, that there is more to life than our earthly lives, and that we should follow spiritual values rather than earthly ones.
Just a thought.
Radio 4's 'thought for the day' programme has short talks by religious leaders of various faiths which are aimed at a multi-faith and secular audience, it might be worth looking it up on bbc i-player for ideas.
I also think that you don't need to completely avoid specifically Christian themes or resources, just talk about them sensitively (which I'm sure you would anyway).
Hope it goes well. :votive1:

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Ernest wrote:Joe,

http://www.c-r-t.org/index.php

I was thinking about Multi-Religious issues and did a search. While there is lots on Wikipedia, I found the above website, which seems to be Religions working together for peace.

So multi-faith in action might be their headline.

I hope this helps.

Ernest
"..learn to call out, "Zol hayom, yakar mahar" (cheap today, expensive tomorrow)" as an ice breaker--from your site, Ernest! Good for 'shoppers' of any faith! Thanks!
Peace and blessings,
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Joe Parrish

Post by Joe Parrish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:14 pm

IMR wrote:A topic that occurs to me for a memorial service is that all the major religions feel that death is not just an end, that there is more to life than our earthly lives, and that we should follow spiritual values rather than earthly ones.
Just a thought.
Radio 4's 'thought for the day' programme has short talks by religious leaders of various faiths which are aimed at a multi-faith and secular audience, it might be worth looking it up on bbc i-player for ideas.
I also think that you don't need to completely avoid specifically Christian themes or resources, just talk about them sensitively (which I'm sure you would anyway).
Hope it goes well. :votive1:
Thanks, IMR! :)
What I heard was that the Muslims retreaded the more ancient HIndu faith that we keep being reborn as some sort of animal or the like, and Judeo-Christianize it... (Thoughts ???)
Peace and blessings,
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Joe Parrish

Post by Joe Parrish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Pam wrote:Joe, how exciting!

Just off the top of my head - my experience of working in a multi faith setting (in prison chaplaincy) was that lots of those with a non-Christian belief set were interested in talking about faith, even though they didn't see him quite like I did, so I think talking about your faith would be perfectly acceptable, framed in such a way to make it clear you were not trying to push anyone else into sharing it.

The only people I can think of who might not find talking about your faith acceptable would be Dawkins-style atheists, but I guess nothing a Christian pastor said would be acceptable to anyone with that particular mindset.
Hi Pam, :)
Thanks for the pointers! I am thinking of removing the plastic collar at this event... ???
Peace and blessings,
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Not wearing the collar would be interesting - it would certainly emphasise the personal aspect of your talk.

I think you have a natural compassion and engagement with people who are in need that speaks of Christ without you needing to labour it - 'use words where necessary' in fact. Maybe taking a leaf out of Jesus' book and using storytelling (real life stories are still stories if you tell them right!) as a vehicle for your message might be one way of doing it?

Joe Parrish

Post by Joe Parrish » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Pam wrote:Not wearing the collar would be interesting - it would certainly emphasise the personal aspect of your talk.

I think you have a natural compassion and engagement with people who are in need that speaks of Christ without you needing to labour it - 'use words where necessary' in fact. Maybe taking a leaf out of Jesus' book and using storytelling (real life stories are still stories if you tell them right!) as a vehicle for your message might be one way of doing it?
Thanks, Pam! :) Now that I think of it, most of the class has already seen me in my collar, so not wearing it would be more remarkable than wearing, so I shall don the plastic. I did the service as MC five years ago, and a classmate from Australia gave a beautiful talk.
I have had some experience in the inter-faith direction through the memorial services here in NYC down at 'Ground Zero' and back to the 'real' time where we had to bless 'everything'.
Peace and blessings,
Peace and blessings,
Joe

David C

Post by David C » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:54 am

"At the end of my life I would wish that I had bought and sold in good faith."

So said a wise old Jew, and this was NOT just for business transactions. Your congregation might have people of all Faiths and no faith. And "Dawkin-like atheists" also have their place in the world.

I hope this is helpful.

:)