Windy Weather

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Ernest
Auxilium

Windy Weather

Post by Ernest » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:09 am

The storm has arrived in the South East.

Probably increasing winds later this morning, allegedly up to 85 miles per hour strong. I hope not, but :votive1: :votive1: for all who will be worried about damage to property or injury to people.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Emle

Windy Weather

Post by Emle » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:32 am

Been a stormy night up here on the West Coast and tides are high this week so woke to burst river banks due to back flow, also have snow on the mountains and strong winds. But not as bad as forecasted.
Keep safe everyone.

:votive1: :votive1:

Ernest
Auxilium

Windy Weather

Post by Ernest » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:37 am

The worst that we had at our home, was the council waste bins, being blown over or even down the garden. Luckily they'd been emptied on Friday (we have a fortnightly collection) or I might have had to spend time picking up sorted recycling.

But driving, you could feel the wind trying to blow the car sideways, to more care needed, and getting out of the car, the wind tried to take the doors off, so a tight grip to hold them was needed. But managed to make it to church for three different services, where I was working on each of them.

The wind was strong enough to blow heavy door open, so we had to lock them down while the services were going on. We joked with those there, that it was more fun than a lockin at the pub :thumbs:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Emle

Windy Weather

Post by Emle » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am

So pleased you weathered the storm Ernest. It made me appreciate how different our weather patterns are.

Our wheelie bins are generally, attached to something substantial with bungee ropes ( the good old fashioned sort we used to employ on roof racks, for those with long memories) and anything else is weighted down with rope and boulders ie sheds, garden benches log stores etc. We don’t have any panel fencing anywhere it just wouldn’t survive our ‘normal’ weather and no greenhouses either but some crofters have recently managed to erect substantial polytunnels in sheltered areas but even those cannot withstand 100 mph gusts which we have regularly.

None of this makes for picturesque landscapes and may look rather untidy through the eyes of a tourist but everything has a purpose and in a fishing community the old ropes and creels and plentiful boulders down on the shore are never wasted.

Still very windy here and now we have snow and ice to contend with as well as the river overflowing ... safest place is indoors!

Keep safe everyone :votive1:

Pam
Web Pastor

Windy Weather

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:05 pm

BRRRRR!

There has been snow in Derby, to the east of us, but nothing more than a bit of sleet here.

:cloud:

Ernest
Auxilium

Windy Weather

Post by Ernest » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:52 am

Last night we had very strong winds and driving rain. This morning that has waned a bit, but some people that I normally bring to church have rung to say that they will be staying put today. I am thankful for that as some of them have limited mobility and are quite frail.

Hopefully, I will make it the quarter mile to church. Our local council did a good job on checking and pruning some trees behind our house last summer which might have presented a risk to the rear of the houses in our terraces. As it is a council owned recreation ground and park, they showed some wisdom in tackling the issues.

In our church, we lost three mature trees last winter, blown down. So, all trees were checked a couple of months ago, two ones rotted were taken down and others had branches overhanging the public highway were pruned. This took a faculty and planning control to agree as all of the trees had preservation orders on them. The church grounds are a green oasis in our Urban Village.
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!