Bible Studies

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
CrystalWriter

Bible Studies

Post by CrystalWriter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:31 am

Has anyone gone about, setting up their own bible studies. Been looking at how I could go about it?

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Bible Studies

Post by Joe Parrish » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:37 am

CrystalWriter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:31 am
Has anyone gone about, setting up their own bible studies. Been looking at how I could go about it?
One idea is to gather folk by invitation, hopefully at least 5 or so, then use simple commentaries to learn about texts such as Barclay, and get a co-teacher to share the effort.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

Bible Studies

Post by Ernest » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 am

Joe gives good advice.

It is easier to do it through a Home Group type effort, run under the auspices of your church. 'That way, you will have the support of your Vicar and Ministry team, and a number of Home Groups could be formed, with a loose programme of studying particular texts in common with each other, and a joint get together to discuss conclusions across each group.

We do this formally in church, meeting weekly over a church season to use texts appropriate to the season, or making use of the various courses provided by the Central Church or even the local diocese. It can be affirming when you are studying in common with groups across the whole church and share feedback.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Bible Studies

Post by Joyce » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm

If you're thinking of setting up a Bible Study just for yourself, or for you and a friend or two, off your own bat informally for fun rather than via a church, I'd suggest beginning by following a book. The SPCK is an ideal source in UK for 'sound' literature for someone who's starting out. They publish a study series on the Church's liturgy for each of the three years, A,B and C.
As a starter I'd recommend something in Tom Wright's For Everyone series as especially useful because it has Bible verses printed on the page before each section.
In a Bible Study group the members could take it in turns to read aloud a few paragraphs. They could then comment ( or not ) on a section at what ever level they wish to.
A friend and I are doing that with a book someone at her goddaughter's church gave her to read. We do it over Skype or Hangouts. She reads from the paperback and I read from the Kindle app on my laptop. It's written by an American pastor for his congregation and we have fun discussing whether what he's saying is relevant to us. If there's nothing to say we just keep reading.
Are you thinking of doing your study in person or over the internet ?