Palm Sunday - Palm Processions and Passion Liturgy

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:35 am

Today, our parish will meet at our Church Hall early. There the Palms will be blessed, and we will than process down the main shopping street of the village, singing hymns while our Church Bell will be rung, summoning people to Church.

In the Sung Eucharist, we will reenact the Passion of Jesus following the Last Supper and the events portrayed in Lukes Gospel, an a roll play using members of clergy and congregation to play the various roles.

I have been nominated to play the part of Jesus, which was a surprise, and hope that my reiteration of the story will do justice to it. But I was wondering how many churches still do this on Palm Sunday? My last parish did not, and left the passion for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. Not sure why, as many older parishioners there remembered processions in their youth.

Are we now worried about going onto the streets to process openly on great Christian commemorations of the Incarnation of Jesus or, more worryingly, are we tempted to ignore those traditions because they are complicated to organize and worry that people with mobility issues might not be able to take part?

We welcome all, and our urban village is happy to see us. We stop at the Baptist Church on the route and they come out to sing a hymn with us, but that is really the only acknowledgement locally of our traditions.

It would be interesting to hear others perspective on this? :thinking:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Jae
Auxilium

Post by Jae » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

I hope that went well Ernest and that your community were open to the experience .... it can be very moving and a kind of 'witnessing' that brings the gospel to life in a way that church services can't quite manage.

Here we have a procession through the town centre main shopping thoroughfair on Good Friday ... a Walk of Witness which is open to all churches in the town.

I'm not sure that I will be able to make it but on previous occasions I have been brought to tears ... there is something about being with others in witnessing that brings home the 'vulnerability' of Christ made human that is very moving for me.
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:30 am

Thanks Jae,

It went well.

We used to also do the Good Friday thing, alongside other churches in the area. But this year, due to a change of Pastors at some of the Churches, our joint plans are on hold. So, this week, we are doing the Stations of the Cross in Church, followed by the liturgy of Good Friday and a Vigil. Also, a Vigil overnight Saturday to Sunday by a few hardy souls, which won't include me as I am working at the 8 am and 10 am services leading stuff etc. By Friday I will have been leading stuff in church each day, so will be a little tired. I'm glad that our retired Priest is doing stuff as well or I might have been exhausted.

We wanted our new Vicar in post for Easter, but diocese decided that the timings for him and his family were too tight, and he will now be licensed on the 4th May. We are pleased because he has a young family, and the vicarage will be full to bursting for the first time in 15 years as most incumbents over that time have been priests waiting to retire. These are exciting times as this is his first incumbency and we know him as he took services during our vacancy, having done his curacy in a local church in the Deanery. He cheated and did some school assemblies with me two weeks ago, he had the excuse that some of his children are in the school. :thumbs:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Wonderful that you have a new vicar coming and you like him ! :sing2:

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Yes. He is young, early forties and his wife is also involved in ministry as an Anna Chaplain (befriending and ministering to those with Dementia).

Getting on well is so important. But when the congregation was told that Simon was the preferred candidate, we got a rousing cheer. Off course, time will tell once the honey moon period subsides, but I am keen to learn from him, as he has some excellent ideas for future ministry and growth.
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!