Faith Journeys

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Pam
Web Pastor

Faith Journeys

Post by Pam » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:01 pm

Christian Research are running a project called Faith Journeys where Christians are invited to tell the story of how they came to faith.

To join the project, you have to fill in this short registration form.

Karen

Re: Faith Journeys

Post by Karen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:19 pm

I've just done the first questionaire and it made me think. It also made tea very late as it took longer than expected to complete!
Ying tong yiddle I po...

queermulla

Post by queermulla » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I reckon a better read - would be 'why' christians leave their faith... don't u?
ACT-UP!.... Jesus did

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 pm

queermulla wrote:I reckon a better read - would be 'why' christians leave their faith... don't u?

Why do people leave their faith?

Are you referring specifically to Christianity or to all religions?

Jayne( in aroha, hope and Faith ) nz

* . (\ *** /) * .* Look at the birds of the air
* . * ( \(_)/ ) * * they do not sow or reap
* * (_ /||\_) . * See how the lilies of the field grow
* *. /____\ * . they do not labour or spin
(Mat.6:25-34

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 am

queermulla wrote:I reckon a better read - would be 'why' christians leave their faith... don't u?
Why Christians leave their faith for other religions or none is indeed a piece of research I would personally be quite interested in.
I suppose that would be 'faith journey' too.
A little lost in the world.

queermulla

Post by queermulla » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 am

in a world dominated by wars fueled by religious radicalism

where christians are seen to be a diminishing force within western cultures due to scandals of pedophilia

where the church is seen for what it is - a last bastion of rampant homophobia, sexism and patriarchy

there seems little to celebrate - in my humble opinion
ACT-UP!.... Jesus did

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Mod comment

Well, of course you're entitled to your opinion, and if you have a firm view and are not interested in shifting it I wouldn't presume to try to do that.

However please note that that these forums are for dialogue about Christianity and that we have a rule against crusading - using our bandwidth to put forward your own agenda regardless of the focus of the boards or threads on which you are posting.
3: Respect the bandwidth
These forums are free to use but they cost money to run, so use them for the purpose they are set up for. In particular, please note the following points:

Don't crusade (post about your favourite cause or topic regardless of the topic of the thread you're on)
Please stop diverting threads into discussions of your own particular agenda or your posting rights may be in question.

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Glo wrote:Why Christians leave their faith for other religions or none is indeed a piece of research I would personally be quite interested in.
That's an interesting thought. I suppose faith journeys go in many directions, and certainly sometimes double back on themselves. Sometimes you go in one direction, but return, and that part of the journey is not a wasted detour, but an excursion that allows you to learn and grow.
Kindness is underrated.

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Caroline wrote:
Glo wrote:Why Christians leave their faith for other religions or none is indeed a piece of research I would personally be quite interested in.
That's an interesting thought. I suppose faith journeys go in many directions, and certainly sometimes double back on themselves. Sometimes you go in one direction, but return, and that part of the journey is not a wasted detour, but an excursion that allows you to learn and grow.
That's so true.

I certainly did a fair bit of wandering myself before returning to the Body of Christ.

marybeth

Post by marybeth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:04 pm

I once decided to give leave God forever after he refused to help a little child who was suffering badly, (a miracle was needed, no-one else could do anything) I left the church and refused to talk to the Lord, which was so difficult as I tend to do it all day long without really thinking about it. Every time I found myself talking to Him, I steered my mind in a different direction. I have to say that I have never felt so alone in all my life, I missed Him so much, especially when I went to sleep at night, I was abandoning myself and family to nothing! It was such a relief when I decided to come back to Him, and of course He welcomed me with open arms. I have come to realize that His ways are not our ways and He has a very good reason for everything. I do not understand to this day why He will allow an innococent child to suffer when He only needs to say the word to put an end to it, but I trust Him to do what is right. He know the outcome of everything and He knows what His purposes are.

marybeth

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:06 pm

That's quite a story, marybeth. Thanks for sharing. :lovedrops:

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 am

marybeth wrote: I do not understand to this day why He will allow an innococent child to suffer when He only needs to say the word to put an end to it, but I trust Him to do what is right. He know the outcome of everything and He knows what His purposes are.
I believe if God eliminated all suffering and put everything to rights we would be living in a perfect world, but we would be puppets, unable to make any decision that He disagreed with, unable to live independant, fullfilling, lives. It seems that in allowing us free will we have to accpet the responsibilities that go with it, such as abandoning war and using all those funds for the benifit of our fellow creatures. Instead we spend our years, adding to the misery and suffering of th world, shying away from those responsibilities, and hoping others will do our share of God's work for us.

Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . Do what you can
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * with what you have
. . (_ /||\_) . * Where you are
* . /____\ *..* (Theodore Roosevelt)

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Jayne,

There is certainly an element of truth in what you say. God gave us the free will to make our own decision, including those to mess up. Which we have been able to do spectacularly.

What I find really encouraging is that despite all of our failures and mistakes, he still loves us and only wants us to fulfill his purpose for us in this life - he accepts us back and welcomes, holds and gives us his love, unconditionally.

For Marybeth, you have shared and I find it inspirational to hear such stories. :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Isobel
previously IMR

Post by Isobel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:26 pm

I found the book 'the shack' by Wm Paul Young contained, among other things, a helpful discussion of God in relation to suffering.
The free will explanation mentioned by enyaj seems the best to me for suffering caused by humans, but is more difficult for natural disasters such as earthquakes. Although perhaps God didn't intend people to live in areas prone to such events and we have ignored his warnings.
I agree that we can't see things as God sees them. For example, the death of a young person may seem like a tragedy to us but we can't see what might have happened had they lived: perhaps their life would have involved a lot of suffering which was avoided by their death. And if we believe that there is something better after death then arguably we should not begrudge them going there sooner.
There is no easy answer though, and I agree that being angry with God and turning away can be a part of a journey of faith. There are many biblical precedents, starting with Adam and Eve hiding from God. Many biblical characters had times of despair and anger.

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:51 am

IMR wrote:There are many biblical precedents, starting with Adam and Eve hiding from God. Many biblical characters had times of despair and anger.
We are told tht even Jesus, on the Cross, despaired when He asked *Eloi, Eloi! Lama Sabachthani* . ( My God, My God! Why have you forsaken me?) (Mt 27:46/Mk15:34)
Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . I long to accomplish a
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * great and noble task, but
. . (_ /||\_) . * it is my chief duty to
* . /____\ *..* accomplish small tasks as
if they were great and noble.
(Hellen Keller)