Covid 'preventative' now available

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:37 am

"MMR vaccine could prevent worst symptoms of COVID-19: The MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine could help to prevent inflammation in COVID-19, which is associated with the most severe symptoms of the disease."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... d=25095854

Most US and UK children since the 1970's and 1980's received the MMR measles-mumps-rubella vaccine and are only getting light to moderate covid, and all military inductees get MMR: very few deaths in those groups. It is available at many drop-in clinics now in the US.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 am

Typcally, adults too old to have had the vaccine have had the actual diseases. Does that make a difference ?

rogerjames

Post by rogerjames » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:22 pm

That's interesting, Joyce. I recall HAVING Mumps [twice] and Measles in the 1950s - but I don't think Rubella. Like you I wonder if there's any lingering usefulness to protect against Covid-19. I very much doubt it.
Roger :biggrin:
Roger James

Good Words are worth much, and cost little. George Herbert
[Outlandish Proverbs No 155]

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:12 pm

My school friend had MMR forty years ago, and his titers were low, so he got a booster.
I had measles and mumps in elementary school, and my titers are OK, but the researchers at Tulane and Lousiana State are very positive about getting MMR, saying the protection against measles is good regardless of covid. But they think MMR is what is needed for covid. I got the MMR vaccine Thursday, no crying. They said they do not give out lollypops.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Roger,unusually for my generation, I didn't have Rubella until I was in my forties. The GP had refused me a jab only two days previously, saying the chances of my not having already been exposed and hence immune to it were small : 'Teachers don't get it,' he'd said. Luckily, the same doctor picked up a very garbled phone message and guessed I was the patient.
Rubella can apparently be dangerous in adults and I came within a whisker of intensive care.
The effects on my already problematic joints were permanent. I'd recommend you or anyone else who's uncertain whether they've had it, to get a jab, or however they give it these days, PDQ, Covid or no Covid.

rogerjames

Post by rogerjames » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 am

Re MMR - thanks for that, Joyce. I'll take some advice on that, bearing in mine my underlying health issues. 'Nuff said!

My mother used to say: "What don't kill, fattens!" :blink:
Roger
Roger James

Good Words are worth much, and cost little. George Herbert
[Outlandish Proverbs No 155]